A rare opportunity has arisen to purchase NB. Enceladus. Enceladus was built by W.J.Yarwood & Sons Ltd of Northwich, one of 12 motors of the small Northwich or ‘Star’ class. It was delivered to the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co in August 1935.
Lying: Glascote Basin, Coventry Canal
Enceladus has been fully rebuilt by Industry Narrowboats and Brinklow Boat Services, with a new bottom and footings, counter, and cabin. It is powered by a Lister HR2, 48ft in length and carries its original two-tone blue livery.
Overall Length: 48’0”
Plating: 10 / 6 / 5
Tug Deck: 7’0”
Saloon / Galley: 13’0”
Steps lead down from the tug deck of Enceladus into the saloon. The saloon is an open area with freestanding seating, the saloon is heated by a Reflex diesel stove. The space under the tug deck is accessed from the saloon, this space houses a larder fridge and there is an abundance of storage space. There is plumbing for a washing machine under the tug deck. At the back of the saloon are galley units along the port side, the units have a Belfast sink, 2 burner hobs, a gas instant water heater and storage.
The bathroom is an offset compartment with shower cubicle and macerator toilet, cupboard for storage and large plastic pump out tank.
Engine Room: 5’6”
The engine room houses an ever-reliable Lister HR2 with a PRM 260D2 gearbox. The engine has a day thank and semi rotary pump. Also in the engine room is the electrical cupboard containing the fuse board and inverter. There are both opening port and starboard hatches with slides.
Back Cabin 8’9”
The back cabin is the boats main sleeping accommodation and there is a 4ft double cross bed. The back cabin is a full traditional arrangement and is traditionally decorated with graining and Phil Speight’s Roses and Castles. The back cabin is heated by an Epping solid fuel range.
Head Room: 6’5” and 5ft in back cabin.
- Docked annual under current owner (since 2015), last blacked with Intertuf 16 in October 2020
- Superstructure re-painted in 2-pack in 2018
- BSS Certificate to February 2023
Heating and Water
- 450ltr Stainless steel water tank
- Rinnai instant water heater
- 2 x 13kg gas bottles in bow locker
- Refleks diesel stove in saloon
- Epping stove in back cabin
- Single alternator
- Victron Battery charger
- 1 No. Starter battery
- 2 No. 125A domesic batteries (new in Spring 2021)
- Lister HR2
- PRM260 D2 Gearbox
- Traditional wheel forward and reverse and speed wheel
- Serviced annually by Paul Redshaw, last serviced Spring 2021
Fit out Materials
- Sprayfoam insulation
- Under gunwale T&G in saloon/galley, painted in Farrow & Ball
- Above gunwale – mix of ash and pitch pine
- Flooring – reclaimed pine
- Engine room – a mix of raddle red on iron sides and Farrow & Ball on bulkheads. Traditional diamond plate floor.
- Back cabin – Traditional back cabin fit out by Brinklow Boats with decoration by Phil Speight
- Iroko solid wood galley worktop
- Inspection hatches in floor throughout
Ropes, fenders, windlasses, piling irons, mooring pins, poles, etc.