Norton Canes Boatbuilders were established in 1986 when Graham Edgson took over the business from Malcolm Braine. Malcolm began building boats in 1966 and acquired a reputation for producing fine looking craft often with steel hulls and wooden cabins.
Whilst working for Malcolm, Graham progressed with the addition of steel superstructures and was working as Malcolm's foreman up until the opportunity arose to run the operation himself due to Malcolm's retirement.
For over 30 years Graham and his team applied their engineering and fabrication skills to produce traditionally styled canal boats of fine lines, sweet curves and exquisite balance.
In 2015 Norton Canes Boatbuilders made the move to Glascote Basin on the Coventry Canal, the site formerly operated by SM Hudson Boatbuilders. The move allowed the business to expand and offer a comprehensive range of boat yard services with the benefit of being on a popular part of the midlands canal network. Graham retired at the end of 2015 and his daughter Sarah took over the day to day running of the business.
Our Norton Canes site was originally occupied by Yates Bros. since 1846, at the current Northerly limit of the BCN Cannock Extension Canal just off the A5 at Norton Canes. We still operate this site as moorings with boat building and maintenance being undertaken at Glascote Basin.